New for 2018
Welcome to Frankfurt, Germany's financial capital. This afternoon, transfer by coach to Wiesbaden where the Avalon Felicity is docked. Later, meet your friendly crew and fellow guests at a Welcome Reception.
This morning, start your day with a delicious buffet breakfast, after which an excursion takes you to nearby Eltville. Here, choose your activity:
* on a visit to the Eberbach Monastery, savour the simple beauty of the monastery's monumental Romanesque church, and discover this outstanding backdrop to the famous film, 'The Name of the Rose', that brought the Middle Ages back to life here in this monastery.
* Eltville am Rhein is picturesquely situated amid forest, vineyards, and the Rhine River and is well known as 'the City of Wine, Sekt (sparkling wine), and Roses'. An ideal city for a guided walk through the historic Old Town and a tasting of some of the local wine.
* for some exercise before lunch, hike around on the first-class hiking trail, 'Rheinsteig'. Wander through Eltville's idyllic forest or explore the numerous scenic trails through the vineyards.
This afternoon is free to relax on board, explore on your own, or perhaps join a local expert for an optional guided walk of Frankfurt am Main. Before dinner, set sail for Rüdesheim, and this evening, enjoy a dinner of Rhineland specialties, such as Sauerbraten (slow-cooked beef roast marinated in wine), Reibekuchen (potato pancakes), and more.
A day of gorgeous scenery. This morning, explore Rüdesheim, a quaint, quintessential Rhine Valley wine town, on your own. Alternatively, if you are feeling active, one of our optional excursions may be just right for you. During lunch, marvel at today’s scenic highlight as you cruise through the dramatic Rhine Gorge, the most beautiful stretch of river. Here, ancient castles stand sentry on lofty cliffs rising 400 feet above the water. Cruise past the legendary rock of the Lorelei, where echoes of enchanted siren song lured unwitting sailors to their doom. This afternoon, we make a stop in Boppard, and here choose your activity:
* if you don’t mind climbing steps, join an excursion to Marksburg, the only castle on the Middle Rhine to escape destruction or ruin. You’ll be taken through the kitchens and dining area, along the battlements overlooking the Rhine, to the bedrooms and torture room, and to the chapel. Marksburg Castle is one of the principal sites of the World Heritage Rhine Gorge.
* explore the ancient city of Koblenz on a guided walk with an expert guide. Then, take a cable car ride up to historic Ehrenbreitstein Castle and soak up the beautiful panoramic view from above the banks of the Rhine.
* participate in a unique Volcano Experience, a short coach transfer from your ship takes you to the ‘Lava City’ of Mendig, where basalt, cold lava, was mined. Tour this labyrinth of mining corridors which, in the early 19th century, became beer storage cellars.
Re-join your ship and spend some free time in Koblenz late this afternoon. Standing at the confluence of the Rhine and Moselle Rivers, this 2,000-year-old city is the cultural and business centre of the Middle Rhine region. During dinner, cruise to Engers where you dock overnight and enjoy a concert performance at Castle Engers.
Sorry, we couldn’t find what you were looking for.
We don’t give up that easily, so please try a different departure or give us a call on 0800 668 1843